Monday, October 09, 2006

Stumbling upon this blog, one might reasonably be given cause to wonder why, amid the chaos of the first year of law school--the late nights, the rapidly multiplying gray hairs, the complete and utter lack of a freaking clue about what the hell is going on--a reasonable and prudent person would respond by starting a blog.

Could it be the desire nascent in the heart of every born lawyer to hear the resounding boom of one's own voice thundering across the open plain of cyberspace? Possibly. Like everyone setting out to tread in the illustrious footsteps of Thurgood Marshall, Daniel Webster, and Ben Matlock, I am to a certain degree enamored of myself and am certainly highly confident in the righteousness of my opinions. Just the fact that I use the words "enamored of myself" instead of just coming out and admitting that I'm pretty sure my shit don't stink should tip you off. But generally speaking, I'm content to sound off to my friends, relatives, and people I sit next to on public transportation. That way, my listeners can observe my oratorical genius as well as my skills as a wordsmith.

Perhaps, like my fellow lettered-street travelers in our nation's capital (that's capital, not capitol, unless you're talking about the actual Capitol Building), I have a rant about the state of the city, the nation, and the entire dad-gummed world to get off my chest and I want my wisdom to reach a larger audience. Well, that's definitely true. I do have a lot to say about all of those things. I might even, from time to time, say them in my blog. But the fact that we are, in fact, already nestled snugly in a comfortable handbasket with a one-way ticket down the intention-paved highway of song and story really doesn't need another Captain Obvious to add to the chorus. Any comments of that nature are purely self-gratifying.

But why, really, am I doing this? Well, actually, it's because I find myself with quite a lot of free time these days. Procrastination is alive and well in the hallowed halls of my particular university, and I am no less a victim of its nefarious urges to do nothing when there is so much to be done than anyone else. And so...voila! Introducing le blog des moi. I don't know if that means anything, but French seemed appropriate just then. I'll opine randomly and widely about the process that will transform me from lawless layperson to Legal Eagle Extraordinaire. Or at least it better, because if it doesn't I'm out a downpayment on a beach house in Rehoboth.

Well, it beats the hell out of writing a memo.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home