Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Why is Legal Writing so boring?

The one bit of wisdom that anyone who has successfully completed their first year of law school has consistently offered me is this: pay attention in Legal Writing, because it's the only class that actually teaches you how to be a lawyer.

Far be it from me to disagree, as obviously I have not a damn clue about how to be a lawyer. In the first month of legal writing, I've learned to fling off terms like "shepherdize" without batting an eyelash, and if I could read Braille I could parse a statute with my eyes closed. I've also spent hours running to-and-fro in the law library trying desperately to figure out what precise combination of words will lead me to the statute, case, treatise, hornbook, or other 19th century relic that I've already found online in under 15 seconds. Is that what being a lawyer is? Wasting as much time as humanly possible so that you can bill your clients for "research time," simultaneously appearing both dedicated and erudite?

People with Real World Experience In The Law tell me that all lawyers do is write, file, read, and respond to various and sundry types of legal documents. If that's true, and I have no reason to suspect a profession-wide conspiracy against either me specifically or 1Ls in general, then Legal Writing is every bit as important as they claim. But why, I must ask, can I only vaguely identify what these documents are? Why do I have no idea how said documents might be structured? You'd think that would be the first thing they would sit you down and tell you in a Legal Writing class. So far, the most I can do is piece together some vague reason why a person does or does not have a cause of action for a particular lawsuit. That's nice. Probably important, too. I've also developed a deep and unmitigated loathing for any phrase that in volves the words "blue" and book." But I'm still waiting for the answer to the big "what's next?" and I'm not seeing any indication that it's coming down the pike.

I guess I'll just figure it out as I go. That seems to be an emerging theme in this whole law school debacle.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home