Saturday, June 16, 2007

Cadaratas sin camera

Every now and then, the rhythym of quotidian life is interrupted by something so perfect, so beautiful, and so astounding that the possibility of the existence of a divinity in the world simply cannot be dismissed out of hand. And then, in the course of observing such awe-inspiring visions, one becomes equally certain that such divinity is also possessed of a well-developed sense of irony, if not an outright rollicking sense of humor.

This more or less describes my experience at the Iguazù Falls today. Words are simply insufficient to describe the sheer majestic beauty of these waterfalls. I´ve seen waterfalls before--beautiful waterfalls, waterfalls that took my breath away. Nothing that I´ve ever seen compares to these. Every time I saw something that I thought had to have been the most beautiful thing that I´d ever seen, I walked a little further down the path and had my breath taken away again.

Given that, it´s only natural that my stupid camera would decide to break at some point on the bus ride here from Buenos Aires. Somewhere, I am reasonably sure, God is doing the Simpsons ha-ha. Thankfully, my travelling companions took a million pictures, and I bought a little disposable camera that hopefully was not so crappy that it won´t show at least a little of what I saw.

The park itself was really nice too, and full of birds and forest creatures. I spent a lot of the day whispering ¨Wildlife! Wildlife!¨ and making Andy and Jen take lots of pictures of tangles of brush that hide some scurrying rodent within. I think a lot of the animals depend on tourists for their food, because they were definitely not afraid of us. We saw raccoon-like coatis, some beauiful birds (I made them take pictures, honey, don´t worry), and some other rodent-like creatures that vaguely resembled the capybaras that are at the National Zoo, only smaller.

Tomorrow, assuming our friends that went to the Brazilian side today did not get detained by customs trying to get back into Argentina, we are going to head for Brazil and maybe go horseback riding. And duty-free shopping.

It occurs to me that as of today, my time here is half over. Or yesterday. Or something. Anyway. More time behind than ahead in Argentina! I´m loving it here, but it will be nice to not have to scramble to think of how to ask for things and feel like an idiot when I can´t think of the word for something simple. And I miss my bed! And summer weather! I will be ready to go when it´s time. But it´s not time yet!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home